Same sex equality issues, such as civil partnerships, adoption and gay marriage, have been the subject of considerable debate in recent years. Recent governments including the current coalition administration have proposed and enacted into law progressive legislation.
These legal and social reforms have helped to ensure Lesbian, Gay; Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning employees are afforded the right to be treated fairly and with respect within the modern workplace.
Employers recognise that fairness at work and good job performance go hand in hand. Tackling discrimination helps to attract, motivate and retain staff and enhances an organisation’s reputation as an employer. Eliminating discrimination helps everyone to have an equal opportunity to work and to develop their skills.
Today, the majority of employers have worked hard to ensure their policies and practices are compliant with current equality legislation, but the challenge is now to challenge custom and practice and overcome long-held views, stereotypes and assumptions about the characteristics of different workers. So the question remains: What could employers do to ensure the modern workplace enables employees to be themselves?
This question will form the basis of our 2 hour interactive workshop. Drawing on latest research, case studies and quizzes
- The Equality Act 2010– discrimination, (direct, indirect, by association, perception), Harassment, Victimisation and Positive Action
- Recruitment and Selection
- Managing difference – video looking at the impact of unconscious bias behaviours in the workplace and potential effect on creating an authentic culture.
The session will consist of a presentation, led by Peter Hall. Participants will be encouraged to consider issues arising in their respective organisations and ask questions.
- What training or guidance do you provide to line managers?
- Do you monitor sexual orientation in your organisation?
- What are the barriers faced by individuals?
- What could employers do to ensure people are free to be themselves in the workplace?
Event Date: 25th February 2014
Event Location: enei Offices, 32-36 Loman Street, London, SE1 0EH
Event Time: 09.30am – 11.30am
Event Costing: enei Members: Free
Powered by Facebook Comments