Part-Time HR Admin Officer
HR Admin Officer
Changes are currently underway internally to enable Forest Enterprise England to become more autonomous in managing the public forest estate and for Forest Services to retain a core forestry expertise and regulatory role within England, reshaping certain functions to build closer working arrangements with Defra and its other network bodies. These posts will sit within Forest Enterprise England.
The England HR team delivers HR support to all Forestry Commission England managers and staff on both strategic and general HR matters. The team currently works in collaboration with an HR Shared Services function based in Edinburgh.
Based in Bristol and reporting to the Head of HR the post holder will support the business by providing a full range of administrative and secretarial services to the Head of HR and wider HR Team.
Purpose of the Job
To provide administrative and full range of secretarial services to the Head of HR and HR Team as part of a multi-functional support team to managers and staff across FC England.
Key Work Areas
• Respond promptly and professionally to customer enquiries by providing general advice and signposting them to relevant information, tools and resources.
• Escalate any queries appropriately to the HR Team member, when the level of advice required is of a more complex nature.HR Administration and Transactional Processes
• Working with the Head of HR and HR Team, provide administrative support, taking responsibility for all administrative processes within the job role.
• Management of e-mail and diary management for Head of HR and other members of the HR Team.
• Undertake support administration relating to routine HR processes ie recruitment, employee notifications, recording annual leave, sickness absence etc.
• Respond efficiently to information requests and/or forwarding to other members of the team for a response in the absence of the Head of HR.
• Maintaining accurate records in relation to travel, booking venues, accommodation. Inputting into HR systems such as HR MI reporting, training needs analysis.
• Preparing Agenda and appropriate documents for meetings.
• Taking notes of meetings and to take notes of formal performance hearings ie disciplinary, grievance.
• Preparing power-point presentations.Competency Specification
Experience and Professional/Technical Expertise
(See Person Specification and Qualification criteria below)
Changing and Improving
• Review working practices and come up with ideas to improve the way things are done.
Making Effective Decisions
• Speak up to clarify decisions and query these constructively.
• Investigate and respond to gaps, errors and irregularities in information.
• Think through the implications of your decisions before confirming how to approach a problem/issue.
• Act in a fair and respectful way in dealing with others.
• Write clearly in plain simple language and check work for spelling and grammar, learning from previous inaccuracies.Collaborating and Partnering
• Proactively contribute to the work of the whole team.
• Be open to taking on different roles.
Managing a Quality Service
• Actively seek information from customers to understand their needs and expectations.
• Gain the knowledge needed to follow the relevant legislation, policies, procedures and rules that apply to the job.
• Take ownership of issues, focus on providing the right solution and keep customers and delivery partners up to date with progress.
Delivering at Pace
• Work in an organised manner using your knowledge and expertise to deliver on time and to standard.
• Take responsibility for the quality of your work and keep your manager informed of how the work is progressing.
• Experience of working as a personal assistant
• Experience and knowledge of IT systems, including e-mail, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, power point, internet and intranet.
• Experience of working collaboratively in a multi-functional team environment to achieve results.
• Able to work in a new, developing service environment, building effective working relationships.
• Experience of minute taking.
• Experience of building good relationships.
• Experience in working as part of a wider team.
• Attention to detail.Desirable
• Experience of working in a customer-focused HR environment.
• Experience of working as a personal assistant at Executive Director level.
• Experience of using computerised HR systems.
• Foundation Certificate in Human Resources Practice (CIPD), or willing to undertake study.
We’ll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Experience and Professional/Technical Expertise
- Changing and improving
- Making effective decisions
- Leading and communicating
- Collaborating and partnering
- Managing a quality service
- Delivering at pace
Pensions – Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
Benefits – Civil Service Pension; Flexible working hours; 25 days annual leave; rising to 30 days per annum after qualifying period plus 10.5 days public and privilege holiday; free access to Forestry Commission sites; discounts on ticket cost of events at Forestry Commission locations; discounts on Forest Holidays; child care voucher scheme; bike to work scheme.
Allowances – Relocation support may be available to existing FC officers.
Things you need to know
Security – Successful candidates must pass basic security checks.
Nationality statement – Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules.
If you’re applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details – Should a large number of applications be received, the initial sift may be conducted using a lead competency. This will be the competency which is listed first in the job advert.
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate the essential role requirements within the application competency responses.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Nationality requirements – Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals.
Eligibility – Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Grade entry qualifications – NVQ Level 2 in administration or equivalent experience of a wide range of clerical/administrative tasks, and the ability to plan and produce work accurately and effectively by utilising strong organisational skills.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
Interviews: 9 May 2017If successful and transferring from another Government Department a security check may be carried out.
Selection Board: Jo Ridgway, Head of HR, Forest Enterprise England; and Dorothy Russell, Workforce Development Manager, Forest Enterprise England.
A reserve list will be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.